I’ve been posting a lot about spring studies. This is one of my FAVORITE times of year. There’s so much new life, new growth, promise, potential… I love spring! Especially after a hard winter like most of us just had. So, here are some of my favorite things to bring into your life for spring:
1) Spring Cleaning! I think most people are just about done with spring cleaning, but I thought I’d mention it anyway. Spring Cleaning is traditionally done during Lent, to clean out our hearts, as well as our homes, in preparation for Easter Sunday. Make sure you’re cleaning out both– our homes of clutter and the dirt and dinginess that accumulates during the winter, and our hearts of the cobwebs and clutter that we hold on so tightly to!
2) Take it outside! If you can, head to a park. Go hit the farmer’s market. Get out there! Explore! Winter can leave you Vitamin D deficient. Get out in that sunshine, and watch your mood (and, very possibly, your health!) improve drastically!
3) Reconnect! Winter can isolate us, and God created us to be creatures of community. If this winter has left you feeling alone and isolated, get out and reconnect with human beings. Schedule some playdates, hit your support group’s park days. Get around PEOPLE again!
4) Art! Messy art! This is an awesome time of year to get back into the messy art you didn’t want in your home during the winter. We’re planning on dying playsilks with our Waldorf support group this year. Work on watercolors outside, make a HUGE mural!! Learn something new, like wet felting! Fingerpaint, shaving cream paint, make an all natural weaving loom with things you find outside. The possibilities are endless!
5) Shoo all of the kids outside. Turn off that TV, unplug the router, and MAKE them go if you have to. Sometimes, after the initial glow of spring wears off, our kids want to come back in and just hang out inside again. Don’t let them do this! Send them outside, and make them rediscover their imagination and wonder with nature!
6) Build a treehouse! OK, this isn’t do-able for all of us, but can you imagine watching the magic of spring unfold from a tree?? Birds building nests, trees moving from bare, to blooms, to full foliage? What a beautiful site!
7) Revamp your menu! Find local, in season produce if you can. Now is a great time to learn new recipes, try new things, and develop new tastes.
8) As you switch out your wardrobe, take those old clothes that are no longer wearable, and not suitable for donation, and do something fun with them, like make a quilt, or other upcycled art project. Take your favorites, and make memories with them!
9) Make your backyard epic! There are tons of ideas on Pinterest.. Pick one (or a bunch…) that really speak to you, and make it a family project! (In fact, you should just follow all of my Pinterest boards. I have TONS of cool stuff on there for spring, summer, everything!)
10) Check out my Spring Studies Series for other ideas that are just so much FUN!! Spring is such an amazing time of year! Get out there and enjoy it! What’s your favorite thing to do in spring? Are you doing anything new this year? Let me hear it! And come check out what the rest of the crew things about Spring Studies!